Contract Duration: 6 months
Job Title: Technical Writer
Job Location: Madera, CA
Duration: 6 months
Pay Rate: Pays up to 29.00/hr
Hours: 8 hours a day, 5 days per week
The focus of these positions is to shadow our manufacturing team leaders and senior technicians to document the process of building our equipment from beginning to end.
· Develop operating and spare parts manuals for all machines and equipment in our global Preservation Technologies product portfolio in clear and concise language understandable by all levels of production and sales.
· Manage the equipment manual development process and communicate regularly and effectively with all stakeholders the status of all open projects.
· Manage manual content to include fabrication, assembly, installation, operation and maintenance with equipment illustrations, pictures, blueprints, sketches, specifications, articles and drawings.
· Develop and manage a document control system to ensure the appropriate distribution and revision control of all equipment manuals.
· Develop quarterly and annual objectives for the completion of equipment manuals and documents.
· Work with Engineering, Sales and Marketing to make sure that the priorities are aligned with business needs.
· Set a realistic schedule for documentation milestones and completion dates.
· Communicate effectively and regularly the status of manual development.
· Strive to meet all project deadlines.
· Learn and understand the operating principle of all major equipment assigned in order to write effective operating and service manuals.
· Write the text of all equipment and project manuals including sections on safety, operation, parts lists, maintenance and recommended spare parts.
· Work with design and drafting resources to effectively illustrate equipment operation and spare parts.
· Manage outside resources and contractors such as photographers and translators.
· Work closely with and compile information from engineers, purchasing, vendors, project managers, manufacturing, food lab technicians, and field service technicians (and others as needed) in the development of service manuals and related reference materials.
· Utilize experience and new “publications technologies” to continually improve the content, format and presentation of materials submitted to the customer.
· Keep up-to-date with product safety labeling and documentation requirements. Acquire and implement best practices for safety sections within manuals.
· Manage the organization, storage and retention of old and new equipment manuals for internal reference.
· Organizational system should be well communicated, easily accessible and able to be accessed by back-up personnel.
· Develop and manage a reliable system of global version control on all equipment manuals.
· Manage the distribution of documentation to other sites and customers. Follow-up with customers to ensure receipt of the information, to answer any questions, and to gather feedback about the information provided in an effort to improve the overall level of service provided to the customer.
· Support other department and company needs such as the writing of reports and development of presentations.
· Help maintain library of product safety labels.
· Other support as assigned.
· Meet all monthly safety requirements as established by the HSE Department
· Attend all required site Safety Training sessions or complete and submit make-up materials to HSE.
· Four-year BA or BS in Mechanical Engineering, Food Science, Industrial Technology or related fieldAt least two years of related experience is preferred. We will consider Engineers from associate (new college grad) to senior-level (10+ years of experience).
• Excellent writing skills, with experience in technical writing.
• At least five years’ experience providing technical publications support in a machinery-related industry.
• Good technical background and ability to read and interpret engineering drawings.
• Good interpersonal skills; able to accomplish work through informal networking.
• Ability to work under pressure and juggle multiple tasks at a time, prioritize and organize projects well, and consistently meet agreed upon completion dates.
• Must be very proficient with computers and have a good working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and desktop publishing software.
• AutoCAD and AutoCAD Inventor experience highly desirable, but not required.
• Experience in food or beverage processing.
• Experience in photography/video.
Minimal occasional travel.
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Office environment sitting at a workstation. Some walking, climbing stairs, standing for extended periods of time.
Acquire knowledge in an informal setting on an ongoing basis through coworkers, reading of materials and hands-on experience with equipment.
Continued technical and business related training is required to maintain current with scientific and business developments.
Ongoing training in product safety.