Contract Duration: 9 Months
This Position requires – Clear Background, Drug Test and Education Check
If you are interested in this position please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Title: Lab Assistant – 5317
Job Location: Stanford, CA
Duration: 9 Months
Pay Rate: Pays up to $25/hr DOE
Hours: Monday – Friday, 40 hrs per week
· Receives all surgical pathology and cytology specimens and test requisitions in the laboratory.
· Checks test requisition for complete patient data.
· Obtains missing information when necessary.
· Prioritizes specimens prior to entering data in laboratory information system (LIS). Manually logs in specimens when computer system is down.
· Labels specimens with LIS accession number and delivers specimens to appropriate sections. Daily cleaning and organization of Gross Room and Frozen Section Room instruments and supplies.
· Prepare solutions (Formalin, Carnoys solution, decal, etc.). Neutralizes, checks, and disposes of formalin waste. Perform routine maintenance of Frozen Section Room instrumentation.
· Picks up specimens from surgery and clinic areas. The supervisor makes continuing or individual assignments by indicating generally what is to be done, problems to be anticipated, quantity and quality of work expected, deadlines, and priority of assignments, and suggests ways of handing problems. Additionally, supervisors provide specific instructions for new, difficult, or unusual assignments. The supervisor spot checks the work occasionally during progress, and upon completion to assure that proper methods are being used and guidelines are being followed. Reports To: Accessioning Supervisor, Gross Room Supervisor Frequent Contacts: Gross Room medical and technical supervisors, medical staff, residents and fellows, Operations Manager, clinic staff, surgery staff, laboratory staff.
· Essential Functions: Receives all specimens into the lab from a variety of sources and routes, Compares information from test requisition form with specimen labels and resolves identification problems, Checks test requisition forms for complete information and obtains missing information if necessary, Enters patient demographic information into LIS and orders appropriate examination code, Accessions specimens according to established priority.
· Manipulate and edit computer fields to ensure proper billing, unique accessioning number, and correct documentation for each specimen received.
· Distributes accessioned specimens to appropriate locations, Retrieves specimens from surgery and clinics, Cleans and stocks Gross Room, Maintains instruments and equipment in the Gross and Frozen Section Rooms, Check formalin waste for effective neutralization prior to disposal.
· Participates in quality assurance projects as appropriate, Maintain appropriate health and safety standards as directed by federal state and accrediting agency laws/guidelines, Committed to working within a team environment
· Performs other work related duties as assigned
· High school graduate or equivalent required.
· Data entry skills required
· Previous laboratory experience preferred
· Strong medical terminology skills required
· Strong organizational skills required.
· Must be able to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, in English
· AA/AS or BAIBS in a biological science preferred